Dell PowerEdge R240: Specs and Rack Compatibility
Dell’s PowerEdge R240, released in 2018, was designed to be the entry level, low-cost server of its time. Despite the low price and not-so powerful specs, it came with many of the features Dell customers have come to expect like iDRAC 9 support, four hot-swap bays and the latest Intel chipset at the time.
Overall, the server had a good response due to its low price and well thought out compromises. In late 2020, the entry level model sells for $519 on Dell’s website.
PowerEdge R240 Mounting Equipment
- Slide Rail: 1U Cobra 50 Rail for Dell
- 4 Post Racks: 19” width, 20”- 30” mounting depth
- 2 Post Racks: 19” width, 3” – 6” uprights
- Universal Rail: Universal Rack Rails
- 4 Post Shelf: Rack Mount Sliding Shelves
- 2 Post Shelf: Light Duty Server Rack Shelf 24″
- Length (depth): 28.99” (736.29 mm)
- Width: 17.1” (434 mm)
- Height: 3.42” (86.8 mm)
- Weight: 80.02 lb (36.3 kg) max
- U height: 1U
- Rack width: 19”
- Mountable depth: 28”-30”
PowerEdge R240 hardware specifications
- RAM: Up to 4TB Octa rank LRDIMM (32 sockets)
- Storage: Up to 12 x 3.5”, 16 2.5”, 24x 2.5” NVMe
- CPU options: Up to two AMD EPYC 7002 series processors
- Power: up to two AC or DC PSUs
- Remote management: iDRAC9 with Lifecycle Controller
Dell PowerEdge R240 dimensions and rack compatibility
The PowerEdge R240 chassis is 1 rack unit in height, has a depth of 28 inches and will fit in standard EIA 19 inch racks.
Rails allow for the most efficient use of space when mounting servers. RackSolutions specifically designed a slide rail kit to fit the shoulder screws of the PowerEdge R240.
Universal rails that have a height of 1U and support up to 29 inches of depth will be compatible with the PE R240. A benefit of these is the ability to re-use them for different servers or future upgrades. Plus, it’s easy to slide your server in and out of them for maintenance. You can also use our slam latch accessory kit for your Dell servers to be secured in place when using our universal rails. The retaining plate is only compatible with 1U-2U standard width universal rails.
Other products that will be useful when mounting your server can be found here: