10 Useful Tips for Proper Server Rack Installation
Installing a server rack poorly can result in a heap of future troubles, which is why the process should be taken seriously and completed meticulously. But installation isn’t the only aspect of any rack solutions that you’re working with.
In addition, there is also the planning that comes along prior to reaching for the proper tools. So, if you’re wondering how to set up server rack, don’t just focus on installation, but preparation as well. With that being said, here’s a look at 10 useful tips for proper server rack installation:
- Consider ventilation: You don’t want your servers running too hot, so make sure you know which way the servers vent and consider airflow during installation.
- Consider future growth: If your business is growing and you may add more servers in the future, make sure that is a consideration in the planning and installation process.
- Have a plan: Map out your servers in advance to make sure everything will fit and install properly. This simple step can save you headaches in the long run.
- Choose the best switch: Managed switches, for instance, are better able to capture traffic for each port.
- Rack shelves/rails: It’s important to install each server so that they can be removed on an individual level. Rack shelves and rails help with this.
- Label everything: Just because you’re installing it doesn’t mean you’ll be the one servicing it in the future, so make sure someone who is not you will be able to handle things. Keep labeling simple.
- Keep cables organized: Short cables work best – and excess slack should be tied in the back of the server.
- Use tools: Typically, a tape measure, screwdriver, pencil and hammer is all you’ll need to complete this task.
- Have supplies on hand: Aside from tools, we’re talking washers, cage nuts and screws. This can save you time and cut down on halting installation while you run out to the hardware store.
- Ask for help: This should go without saying, but if you feel like you’re in over your head, consult a professional for assistance. Even having a professional just check your work can save you headaches later down the road.
As always, we here at Rack Solutions are here to answer any questions you may have concerning your server rack installation. Don’t hesitate to ask!