15 IT Terms To Know
Here are 15 computer or “IT” terms that everyone should familiarize themselves with in this growing age of technology.
- U: A unit of measurement used to describe the height of the equipment used to store IT equipment. Each U is equal to 1.75″.
- A: Amp, a unit of measurement used to describe an electrical current.
- Server Rack: A server rack is a piece of equipment that is designed to hold servers as well as other audio, video, and computer components. These racks come in various sizes and designs to meet the varying needs of an individual or company.
- 15-20 Amp: The amount of Amps that most breakers and outlets are designed to withstand.
- 42U Server Cabinet: The standardized rack/cabinet size for most data centers.
- Server Cabinet: A cabinet designed to hold servers, also known as a rack. Cabinets come in various sizes and designs to meet the varying needs of an individual or company.
- Wall Mount Rack: Designed specifically for small offices that cannot allot enough space for more typical server racks. These racks can be mounted against any flat surface.
- Enclosed Rack: An enclosed server rack is a rack that closes between uses, allowing for both security and portability.
- Open Frame Rack: An open frame rack is a rack with an open frame, which allows for cooling and easy wiring.
- Desktop Rack: A desktop rack is a small, portable rack that could fit on a desktop. These racks are an excellent option for people who do not need a full-size rack to accommodate their needs.
- Colocation Rack: A colocation rack is a vertical server rack with four, secure compartments used to accommodate multiple tenants who share space.
- Rack Cooling System: A rack cooling system is a cooling system that targets the space directly in front of the servers rather than cooling the entire room.
- Power Strip: A smaller strip of outlets used to distribute power to IT equipment. Power strips contain circuit breakers to prevent damage from current overloads.
- Filler Panel: A filler panel is a vented or aluminum panel which conceals empty spaces within the rack while preventing the mixing of hot and cold air.
- KVM Switch: A hardware or software devices used to control multiple computers from one device. KVM is an abbreviation for keyboard, video monitor, mouse.